Storytelling is fun anytime! You and your family can try it when winter winds are blowing and you’re cozy inside!
There are 26 short ‘retellings’ of Aesop’s Fables at Story Arts Online, the website of a nonprofit organization devoted to ‘preserving and promoting the ancient art of storytelling.’
The fables are retold by Heather Forest, who is a celebrated storyteller, author, educator, and recording artist from Long Island. Forest is also the founder and director of Story Arts.
The fables may be shared as written . . . or you and your family can enjoy a storytelling tradition by telling them in your own way. Change the words – make the stories short or long – add actions – invite family members to participate in telling the story – include sound effects, songs, or music!
The possibilities are endless, and storytelling is fun for all ages.
(For more stories and information about storytelling, just ask our librarians!)
- Cozi - Tips, calendars, and so much more to help busy families stay organized
- Family Corner - family fun, craft projects, kid's recipes, parenting advice, decorating ideas, frugal tips, and more
- Family Fun - a wealth of ideas for family-shared fun
- About.com Homeschooling - offers a communal atmosphere for homeschooled children
- Home Education Magazine - read selected articles from current and archived issues
- Home School Legal Defense Association - keeping homeschoolers up-to-date with relevant federal and state laws
- HomeSchool.com - a comprehensive site on all things homeschooling
- National Home Education Network - a great resource for parents considering taking the homeschooling plunge
- Connect Safely - more helpful information and safety tips
- Cyberbully 411 - provides answers to questions about online harassment
- Get Net Wise - database of helpful information and safety tips
- Navigating the 'Net with Your Kids - informative PDF brochure (downloadable)
- Net Smartz Workshop - interactive and educational resource to teach Internet safety to children
- Child Development Institute - keeping parents informed on child development, child psychology, parenting, health and learning
- Parenting - find info on all things parenting, from baby development to recipes for picky eaters
- What to Expect - pregnancy and parenting info, tip: check out the helpful A-Z Health Guide
- Zero to Three - promoting the health and development of infants and toddlers
- AR BookFinder - search the Accelerated Reader database of books
- Parent's Choice - great recommendations for children's books, toys, music and more
- Raising a Reader - find tips on sharing books with your child
- Reading Rockets - a website dedicated to teaching kids to read and helping those who struggle